06 February 2014

Baked Grapefruit

I'll be honest, I've never been particularly fond of grapefruit; but for some reason my dad thought I'd enjoy one [actually four] so I have four grapefruits lying around.

I saw something a few weeks ago on Facebook [or pinterest? who knows] about baked grapefruits with brown sugar and maple syrup [I think?] so I decided the best thing to do with these grapefruits was try something that had actually sounded like it could be good if I liked grapefruits.

Well; guess what? I LOVE GRAPEFRUITS! when they're baked this way...

Ingredients:
1 whole grapefruit [halved]
5 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. granulated white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. plain yogurt


Directions:
1. preheat oven to 350F. cut grapefruit in half and remove core. with a knife cut along each of the piths [the thin sort of stringy pieces that case the pieces individually]

2. fill the center [where you removed the core] with honey [2tbsp], drizzle any extra around the top. Sprinkle [1/2 tbsp.] brown sugar, [1 tbsp.] sugar and [1/2 tsp.] cinnamon on the top.

3. repeat step 2 on the other half of the grapefruit. place both on regular tin-foil lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.

4. remove from oven, drizzle [1 tbsp.] honey on top of the grapefruit pieces [1/2 tbsp. each], sprinkle with extra brown sugar, sugar or cinnamon if desired.

5. cut between the fruit and the rind in a full circle to help pull the individual pieces out. you can either leave them in the whole grapefruit, move them to a bowl; I take them all out to let the extra juice out and  put them back in the rind, it makes it decorative and festive.

6. enjoy!
I also happen to dislike plain yogurt but for some reason had this as well, I mixed a little under 1/4 c. of it in with the pieces and it was DELICIOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment